Sellar Property Group
The iconic Shard, sitting 310 metres high, is the tallest building in Western Europe. A complex project located adjacent to London Bridge station and above the Northern and Jubilee tube lines, it was clear from the outset that innovation, accuracy and collaboration would be key components in the project’s success.
A Building Information Modelling (BIM) driven process to include architecture, structure and MEP was required to deal with the complexity of the site. Plowman Craven was involved in various aspects of the scheme and provided a variety of measurement and modelling services.
The project stages
Planning and Design Stage
- 3D topographical surveys and 3D scanning of surrounding environment
- View verifications and Rights of Light
- High accuracy positioning of underground tunnels and ventilation shafts
- 3D modelling of the below ground infrastructure
Main Construction Stage
- Continued deformation monitoring of below ground infrastructure and surrounding buildings, automated and manual.
High accuracy 3D laser scanning of floor plates and ceilings for:
- Slab variation analysis
- Offsite manufacture for fit out
- Risk mitigation and clash detection
- Design against as-built
- MEP recording prior to fit-out
Area referencing at pre-completion for:
- Due diligence to assess achievement of construction target areas
- Leasing and rent
High Dynamic Range Photography (TruView™) for:
- Enhancement of laser scan point cloud and BIM model
- Record of ‘point in time’ condition and location assessment
- Offsite decision making
Post Completion Stage
The information gathered on site with 3D laser scanning technology created a critical data legacy for the BIM model going forward, both for asset management and maintenance operations.
This information and future measurement data will continually enhance the parametric model through the life cycle of the building.
Let’s discuss your requirements
Let’s discuss your requirements and see how our expertise in will deliver trusted results throughout the project lifecycle.
Plowman Craven has more than 50 years’ experience, we provide integrated measurement and consultancy services.