Health, Safety & Compliance Manager
This role is based in Harpenden.
We are looking for a reliable, forward thinking Health and Safety lead to be the first point of call for all health & safety and compliance queries and ensure that the workplace meets all legal expectations and actively supports occupational health and safety. The lead will also be responsible for the review, development, implementation and monitoring of the company’s H&S management systems in line with associated legislation.
This is an ideal role for someone from a similar SME looking to progress their career and take a lead in the management of Health, Safety & Compliance processes, procedures and management systems.
- Monitor HSEQ standards in the business, through an effective audit and inspection process.
- Ensure adequate Policy & Procedures, Best Practice, Risk Assessment and Method Statements are in place to comply with client standards, regulatory requirements and contractual arrangements in respect of HSEQ.
- Drive H&S across the organisation and keep up to date with any legislation changes.
- Develop and continually assess the business HSEQ objectives.
- Report to the Board of Directors on HSEQ
- Maintain the organisation’s OHSAS 18001, ISO 14001 27001 and 9001, RISQS and Achilles UVDB certification through representation of the company at external audits.
- Ensure non-compliance issues are dealt with in line with internal and external recommendations.
- Investigate and respond to Health and safety queries and enquiries from employees, line managers, and external bodies.
- Work in conjunction with managers in respect to compliance with client requirements and legislation.
- Identify initiatives to improve performance and assist in addressing areas of poor performance.
- Ensure all staff have appropriate externally certified training suitable for their roles.
- Ensure all DSE users have completed Workstation Assessments and resolve any issues through instruction, training and recommendations.
- Deliver training, workshops and updates across the business to ensure compliance.
- Build a team of Safety Representatives and lead on activities.
- NEBOSH General Certificate
- Membership of IOSH
- Excellent knowledge of Health and Safety and Environmental legislation
- Minimum 5 years’ experience
- Experience with COSHH
- Experience within a construction or engineering environment
- Working knowledge or Audited Standards
- Experience of managing organisational change
- Have experience working with and continually improving recognised management systems OHSAS 18001, ISO 14001 9001 27001
- Self-motivated with a positive attitude
- Build and manage internal team of health and safety representatives
- Be approachable and available
- Excellent communication skills; verbal and written
- Good engagement and negotiation skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with the management team
- Ability to push through innovative ideas relating to the use and management of Health & Safety tools
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- Good Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and PowerPoint ability
- Surveying. Construction and Rail HSEQ experience
- NEBOSH Diploma
- Some form of environmental qualifications
- Lead Auditor
If you have any questions about this role please email firstname.lastname@example.org